The Story in a Nutshell
Methodist preacher starts worship services for parents at the school house on Totowa Rd. in 1905.
By 1912 the congregation had grown to 30 members and they start plans to build.
That year they bought 3 lots on now Church Street for $100!
First worship service was on May 4, 1913.
In November of 1916 the new church was named Union Methodist Episcopal Church.
Fire! The church was completely destroyed on January 11, 1967.
Congregation met at The Chapel at Laurel Grove Memorial Park.
New Building! First service at the current facility took place on September 13, 1970.
Totowa UMC has faced many challenges and celebrated many victories.
Today, Totowa UMC continues to be a community of faith grounded in Christ, committed to serving the community and those in need. Two other organizations are now housed at the 105 Church Street building: Wonder Years Educational Center, for children 2 and a half to 5, and Whole Life Community Church, a non-denominational church.
Source: Borough of Totowa, 100th Anniversary Commemorative History Book, pages 57-59.