The Second Mile Food Pantry
Why “The Second Mile”?
“and if anyone forces you to go one mile, go also the second mile.” Matthew 5:41
In the Gospel of Matthew, after Jesus’ pronouncement of the Beatitudes, he continues to teach about Christian living. When addressing retaliation and offering the Christian response to conflict, Jesus offers these important guidelines:
“But if anyone strikes you on the right cheek, turn the other also; 40 and if anyone wants to sue you and take your coat, give your cloak as well; 41 and if anyone forces you to go one mile, go also the second mile. (Matthew 5:39-42)
Lack of resources: food and other necessities strike our communities on a daily basis. This is not natural, we believe there is enough to go around for everyone. Totowa UMC runs the first mile through our weekly commitment to help eradicate hunger through our partnership with CUMAC. The Second Mile Food Pantry seeks to serve families within the Totowa and Woodland Park Boroughs who may need a little assistance at the end of the month.
What is “The Second Mile” Food Pantry?
It is a ministry of mission and outreach that will provide families in Totowa and Woodland Park Boroughs with: food staples, paper goods, toiletries, hygiene and cleaning products. Our special focus in the summer is to serve students who may depend on reduced/free lunches during the school year.
When is “The Second Mile” open?
We will be open the last Saturday of every month 8am- 10am.
Who can participate?
- Any family in need of items of first necessity to make it to the end of the month.
- Students (Pre-K to college)
- Volunteers ages 16 and older
What can I expect as a client?
- A kind group of volunteers will be welcome you warmly and offer you coffee/tea!
- Every year you will be asked to fill a simple registration form for your household.
- You will encounter the love of God and the opportunity to pray, when you request it.
What items do we accept?
- Canned Goods
- Other canned meat/stew
- Macaroni and cheese
- Peanut butter
- Jelly or honey
- Spaghetti Sauce (Jar or Can)
- Oatmeal Packets
Special Items for Students (Summer)
- Granola bars
- Cereal Boxes
- Fruit Cups
- Toaster Pastries
- Microwave Food (Oatmeal, Chef Boyardee Type Pasta, Mac & Cheese)
- Juice Boxes
- Paper Towels
- Toilet Paper
- Feminine Napkins/Tampons
- Adult Disposable Underwear
- Dish detergent
- Laundry Detergent
- All-Purpose Cleaners
- Trash Bags